Sunday, April 14, 2013

Recipe 3: Savoury Scones

I have a bit of a crush on Anna Olson.  Her show is on in the afternoons in England and I am ~hooked~ on watching her bake the most delicious food.  She recently dedicated a show to savoury biscuits and treats (since she usually bakes cookies and cakes) and on this show were scrumptious savoury scones.  I've had cheese scones before and the yummy fruity ones (-so- good with cream and jam!) but these looked so good I just had to try them for myself!


You Will Need:
2 cups plain (all purpose) flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter cut into small pieces
1/2 cup double (heavy) cream
1/4 cup skimmed (2%) milk
1 large egg

How To Make:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F/190°C
- Sift together your flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl
- Cut in the butter (or rub it in, that works too!) until the mixture is rough & crumbly but there are still small visible pieces of butter
-Lightly whisk together your cream, milk and egg
-Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir to bring the dough together
-Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it gently until it forms a slightly elastic ball (not sticky!)

This recipe makes eight large scones, but I wanted to try two different scone fillings so I divided my dough ball into two and out of each half made eight bite-size scones.  You can adapt it to make huge ones or tiny ones, that's up to you ^_^

-If you'd like to make eight, you'll need to roll out your dough to roughly 10 x 14 inches
-After adding your fillings, simply roll the dough into a spiral and slice into however many rounds you'd like!
-Brush the tops with milk and scatter with poppy or sesame seeds
-Place onto a parchment lined baking tray and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until they are lightly browned
-Leave to cool for about 10 minutes, then tuck in!


I made two different kinds of scone and like I said earlier, I made them itty-bitty so that my family could try some of each and decide which one they liked best!


This one was super simple!  I bought a pack of ready made soft cheese infused with garlic and herbs and spread a generous amount over the pastry before rolling it up!  It was very creamy and the garlic was a really nice touch, but the resounding winner was this little beauty.


Though not as handsome as his brother, this scone contained crispy bacon (I grilled some regular back bacon and let it cool for a while before chopping it up), grated cheddar and a sundried tomato pesto!  It was kind of like a little pizza and really moreish!

I really enjoyed baking something savoury, it was different for me as I tend to bake sponge cakes and cookies!  I'd really love to try macarons and I have a complete hankering for some homemade croissants...I wonder how tricky those could be?  Thanks for stopping by, I hope you had a great weekend and have an amazing week ahead!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment