Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Recipe 2: Chicken Chow Mein

I thought, for some reason, making a chow mein dish would be really difficult.  I thought there would be a heap of unusual, exotic ingredients that I wouldn't be able to find, that there would be some crazy technique I couldn't master.  But really, chow mein is easy.  Easy peasy, in fact.

The Essentials
You Will Need:
Egg noodles
Chicken
Stir-fry vegetables
Spring onions (or scallions)
Soy sauce (dark and light)
Five spice
Groundnut oil
Sesame oil

How To Make:
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add your noodles.  Boil until they are soft.  Drain, run under cold water briefly and add a splash of sesame oil before tossing.


Slice your chicken into pieces (I used four chicken breasts as I cooked for five people) and add to a hot wok, drizzling groundnut oil over the top.  Turn occasionally until cooked through.


As your chicken cooks, add about a teaspoon of five spice and a generous drizzle of light soy sauce.
Slice your spring onion diagonally (for pizazz) and add to the wok, along with your other stir-fry vegetables.




Once your veggies are cooked but still crunchy, add your noodles and toss together.

Invest in a bigger wok.

Plate up, serve with dark soy sauce and thoroughly enjoy!
This recipe is adapted from one I found here, hence the need for my computer by my side!  Also, rather than use groundnut oil, I found 'Chinese stir-fry oil', which is a blend of sunflower, sesame and ginger oils with natural garlic extract!  The garlic really added some zing to it - yum!

 I really am stunned at how easy it was to make.  It took about half an hour to make, from putting the water on to boil to sitting down and eating.  A healthy, filling meal which was enjoyed by my whole family =) Thanks for stopping by!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment