Saturday, February 19, 2011

Music Is What Feelings Sound Like

{Source}
Music is a huge part of my life.  I know I'm not alone in this *grins* I'm never without my music; whether I'm outside walking, inside working or even talking on Skype with my boy, I always have music playing.  I love all different kinds, from heavy metal to classical, pop to rock and all those different genres in-between.  It just depends on my mood.  My two favourite genres would have to be heavy/prog rock (Coheed and Cambria...You rule my world) and 80s pop music.  C'mon, 80s pop is awesome.  Look past the day-glo, lurid make up and curly perms *shudder* The 80s was freakin' awesome for music.

Music helps me concentrate.  It inspires me.  It blocks out distractions and keeps me focussed, which helps when I don't have my own space to work in.  My MP3 player, Chuck, has seen me through long journeys, 4000 word essays  and now he helps me work on my crafting.  I would be lost without him.  Most of the time I put him on shuffle (<-- best invention *ever*) and just let the music roll.  But I do have a few favourites for particularly emotional times.

When I'm super, super happy, nothing gets me up and dancing like 'Burning Down The House' by Talking Heads, 'We Close Our Eyes' by Go West or 'Let's Dance' by David Bowie.  Not to mention the awesome cheesiness of Abba's 'Head Over Heels' (it's not one of their most popular ones but go listen, it's seriously good).  Whenever I hear anything by Coheed and Cambria it brings a smile to my face (they really do rock my socks) and then, of course, there's 'Hey, Soul Sister' by Train, which just so happens to be "our song", which makes me grin like a crazy person and think about my wonderful boy.

Then there are those times when I'm feeling a bit miserable or annoyed at something, so I get some Disturbed or Three Days Grace going, something I know is going to fire me up, get me motivated to get rid of my negativity.  Something I can sing along to, loudly, is always good too, like 'Shout' by Tears for Fears or pretty much anything Lady Gaga has done (I never thought I'd like her and I totally resisted for ages but wow, she's awesome...Huge girl crush on the Gaga)
I rarely use the word 'fabulous' to describe people but...Gaga is fabulous
{Source}
I'm still working on my postcard to Kyla @ Freckled Nest - I decided to do something a little bit different, it's my first experiment with paper, buttons and sewing.  I'll post some pictures tomorrow! I'm  looking forward to sending it, Kyla has been a big inspiration to me on my creative journey (^_^)

So tell me - what kind of music do you like?  What inspires you?  What lifts you up when you're down and makes you want to crazy dance when you're happy? 

Have an awesome Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Music is a big part of my life too! 80's music rocks! I just did a blog post with 80's music for my weekly music series.

    ReplyDelete