Sunday, August 07, 2011

Stephen (is the) King

On one of my recent thrifting trips, I found this;


I ♥ Stephen King in so many ways for so many different reasons.  I think he's an amazing story teller, not only dealing in bone-chilling horror but drama and romance too.  I've been working through this collection of short stories and having read 'Skeleton Crew' (purely for The Mist, which is a phenomenal short story) I knew I was in for a real treat when I saw this included both the inspiration for The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me.  I wasn't wrong!  I really enjoyed reading all four of these stories, which range from uplifting celebrations of life to coming of age to the twisted and macabre.

I realised, along the way, that throughout my time reading Stephen King, he's taught me a few things;
  • All the crazy stuff happens in Maine.  Ghosts love Maine.  Creepy mist creatures holiday in Maine.  When the zombie apocalypse comes, it'll originate in Maine.  Spooky, weird and wonderful?  It's from Maine.
  • It's possible to be scared of using a cell/mobile phone.  So much so that you hide it and refuse to use it for a week, just in case (see: Cell by Stephen King...jeepers that gave me the willies!)
  • *EVERYTHING* can be haunted/possessed/generally freakin' scary.
  • *NOTHING* is sacred/avoided/brushed over.  It's all there in gory detail, honey.
  • Stephen King is awesome and does great cameos (^_^) Storm of the Century, Sons of Anarchy, Creepshow, The Langoliers (♥ this!) and so many more.
I hope you're all going to rush out and read some Stephen King now *chuckles* Hope you're all having a great weekend, I worked the whole thing so I'm looking forward to a Monday free from work, full of talking to my boy and working on a few creative projects!

xoxo
♥Ắçĕ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment